Monday, June 19, 2017

Woof!

Recently the Mini Quilt Trading Swap Flickr group held a swap with the theme Village, Town or House.  What a great theme!  This swap was a secret partner round, and I lucked out and got my dear friend Leslie's name.  Oh, I was so excited!!!  

Took me a little while to decide what to make for her, but there was a happy dance when I settled one something.  As I was paging through the book Houses by Yoko Saito I found a dog house pattern--I knew I'd hit the right idea!  Leslie has a beloved Irish Setter named Ruby, so this is what I made. 


This little quilt is called "In The Doghouse".  It is lightly adapted from the Yoko Saito pattern. 
The quilt itself is about 6 x 5, without the bone. Each mini quilt in the swap must have a label, and my friend Pattiann gave me the idea to make the label in the shape of a dog bone and have it hanging down below the quilt.  

Now usually the label goes on the back of the quilt, but in this case I couldn't do that!
This quilt is reversible!  Here's the back of the dog house.  
You can see that Ruby has a feline friend visiting.  


Creating the house was great fun! The house was made from bits of Liberty of London lawn and polka dotted fabrics from my scrap box.  I used needle turn applique to apply the cotton pieces to the background.  The doggy is made from felted wool and was hand appliqued and embroidered. I love how using extra layers of wool give the dog dimension.  The edges of the ears are lightly frayed to give a fuzzy look.  I added a tiny heart charm as her dog tag.  Since the little quilt is an odd shape I worried that it might be floppy, so I added a layer of Timtex between two layers of lightweight cotton batting. The bone has a layer of Soft & Stable inside. 




To round out the package for Leslie and Ruby, I added treats for them both.  There fat quarters are dog themed prints with text and dog bones.  Ruby got a new toy, a No-Hide beefy bone and a bunch of doggy cookies in Duck and Cheddar flavors.  Since I am a cat person I didn't really know what would be best for Ruby, but luckily I visited Mike's Dog Store and the owner gave me good suggestions.  (If you are a dog person visiting San Antonio, you should check it out!! HERE)

This might just be my favorite mini I've created so far!  Leslie said Ruby enjoyed opening the box as much as she did!  What a great swap!!

Happy Stitching!
Staci

4 comments:

margaret said...

would love to see Leslie`s face when she opens this she will be over the moon and back an amazing mini wallhanging and reversible too. Will you be able to give it to her personally I do hope so

Sarah Craig said...

So cute, Staci! You did an awesome job with both the mini and your "extras"!!!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

OMGosh what fun blocks.

Leslie can't stop quilting said...

Ruby and I were so excited opening up this package! I am the very Lucky Leslie. Ruby was so excited as I stated to open the package and the first present was for her. I squeaked the toy and she started to play with it but was watching me open the next gift which was for her too. Now she is by my side and terribly excited. It was the cutest thing to experience! I Love my mini to pieces. I love it so much! Thanks again dear friend!!!