Friday, March 24, 2017

2017 FAL Project: Can You Believe it?

TA DA!!  Here it is, in all it's goosey-glory!  The Giant Flying Goose Quilt top is complete!

My lovely DAUGHTER helped me with the pinning, pressing and most of all keeping all the parts organized so no mistakes were made during the construction.  She's also the acrobat who stood on the step ladder and pinned it to the top of the design wall while I held the bulk of the quilt top so it wouldn't be pulled right back off the wall by gravity.  She's a STAR!  

The quilt top has 112 blocks, and currently measures 112 x 128 inches.  That is a bit larger than what's usually considered king sized, but I know that fabric will shrink 5% to 10% when washed and dried.  Even figuring 10% shrinkage will leave me with at least 100 x 115 inches, which will cover the bed quite nicely.  

Just to recap, the quilt top was made almost entirely with prints from Remix by Ann Kelle and Kona Solids, both from Robert Kauffman.  Most of the fabric came from a quilt kit I received for my birthday, but the rest came out of my stash.  Not sure what's going on the back of it yet, but my long arm quilter has many many bolts of backing and I know I'll find something fun.  

I'll be handing it off to the long arm quilter in a couple weeks when I pick up my Christmas Goose quilt (HERE).  I'm really looking forward to working with her to choose the quilting design and backing.  She has loads of experience, a good eye and great ideas.  All this talent means she's got quite a backlog right now, so it will be a long while before I get it back, but that's okay.  I've got plenty of things to keep me busy while I wait!  Looking forward to moving on to a different project!

Hope your day is filled with joy and bright colors!
Staci

This project is part of my 2017 FAL 1st Quarter List. 


11 comments:

Yanicka said...

I adore this quilt!!! All those colors are fantastic.

Leslie can't stop quilting said...

I am so happy for you, Staci!! This is an amazing gigantic quilt!!!

Robby H. said...

This really turned out to be a wonderful quilt. Sorta tempts me to 'cook my own goose'.

margaret said...

this definately deserves a big WOW but a wonderful quilt, so enjoyed watching it come together. Wish either of my daughters would share my love of quilting and help and encourage me like your daughter does, maybe I could borrow her for a while

sunny said...

Oh. My. Gosh. and Wow! Need I say more>

Ranch Wife said...

Well, will you take a gander at that gorgeous flock! :) Wow! That's absolutely stunning, Stacy! I love all the polka dots. You must be goosed out, but it sure was worth it!

Ranch Wife said...

Oh, I forgot to ask: Which pattern is that and what's your favorite method of making your geese?

Janet said...

I love all the colour and all the dots!

Tiffany said...

Wow, it's amazing!

Lynette said...

Wow! Nice and giant to be a perfect big king after washing, so it hangs down enough to not get all drafty when nights are cold. I love it!

Archie the wonder dog said...

It's stunning! Bravo!!!