Monday, January 23, 2017

It's so Hip to Be Square!

Today I'd like to show you the beautiful quilt my daughter is making.  
First, let me show you her inspiration print.  

One day we were wandering a local quilt shop and she spotted this butterfly print and fell in love with it, but she'd already spent her fabric budget so it stayed in the store.  Her birthday was coming up so Hubby and I went back to the shop later and picked up the print and a bunch of 1/2 yard pieces that worked well with it as her birthday present.  Looks like I never photographed the entire stack, but here are several of the prints. 


Daughter chose to use the Hip to Be Square pattern from Busy Bee Quilt Designs.  

We spent a day cutting this one out.  Although this is a very fast, easy and beautiful pattern, the cutting directions were somewhat exasperating.  In the directions the pattern designer comments that you should view the cutting process "as a fun puzzle".  Daughter and I were not feeling the fun at all!  But at last it was all cut out and we breathed a sigh of relief and there might have been comments that sounded like "let's not EVER do that again!"

One day before Christmas Daughter came over and we started getting the quilt blocks assembled.  We have so much fun working together.  Daughter will do the sewing and I'll help with the pinning and do the pressing for her.  In just one day she had all the blocks made and they looked fantastic!  The blocks are 12 x 12 inches square. The four simple blocks will be combined with squares of the feature butterfly fabric.  



  
By the end of the day she had this up on the wall:

Yesterday Daughter came over and added the simple pieced border,  made up of a ton of little patchwork squares. Since long narrow borders can be stretchy we decided to add the border squares directly to each block.  This pattern lends itself to this construction method because the border pieces are evenly matched to each block.  It wouldn't work with an irregularly pieced border.  This is a close up so you can see the three squares of the border attached to the block. 

We were so busy sewing, pressing and pinning I forgot to take any pictures at this point, but here are the finished rows up on the design wall.  


Gotta say it, There was some happy dancing going on at this point!  Daughter plans to come over later this week and sew those rows together.

And I might have been searching through my stash to see if I have any fabric that works for this pattern.....Yep, the finished product is so wonderful that I'm willing to endure the cutting process again.

Hope your Monday is filled with bright colors and happiness!
Staci

4 comments:

Robby H. said...

The finished product looks so good, I was considering the challenge of the cutting process, too. This quilt is a perfect antidote to the winter blahs that have set in around here. Now to see if I can find that pattern. May your second cutting experience go more smoothly for having conquered it once.

Debbie said...

It is very beautiful. I especially like the colors your daughter chose. I, too, feel the pain of cutting. I try to do that in one day as well, best to save the rest until your head becomes clear again! Thank you for sharing!

margaret said...

I loved this when you shared a peep of it before and loving it more and more as I look at it trying to work out the blocks but it looks very complicated the pair of you have done a great job, hope you find fabric to make another one for yourself

The Joyful Quilter said...

AWESOME quilt!!