Monday, December 5, 2016

Stuck and Unstuck!

Blue Underground/Underground Blues is STILL on my design wall.  It's been there for WEEKS!  (Can never remember that pattern name...)
Getting the final arrangement of the blocks took ages and I finally had to ask my DAUGHTER to come help me.  She has a great eye for color and her assistance was just what I needed. 

Getting the quilt top to this point caused my second sticking point.  I really like how this looks up on the wall.  The longer I look at it the less I want to chop all those points off.


Let me show you the pattern again.  The blocks are assembled and then all the pointy bits are sliced off to give a square top. Yes, I do like that look a lot, but I can't bear to chop all those blocks off!  The blocks are so pretty and were a surprising amount of work!  


The solution, of course, is setting triangles. Looking for a nice batik to make those setting triangles has proved to be a problem.  Daughter and I went to several quilt stores and hunted.  Hubby and I went to a couple quilt stores and hunted.  Nothing seemed right. I kept thinking I wanted something darker and with more black in it...kinda like this 108 wide backing fabric I'd purchased....hmmm...are you thinking what I'm thinking?  


Yep, chopping up my backing is the answer!  Using 108 wide fabric for setting triangles was actually wonderful!  So many triangles can be cut across all that width. I only had to cut 3 strips and had more than enough triangles.  I haven't used setting triangles very often, but invariably I mess up a few and then distort them to bits taking them off with the seam ripper so I like to have a few extra. I decided to use this as my binding, too.  Cutting binding was really fun!  Three 2 1/4 inch strips and binding was cut!  Woo Hoo!!


So happy to be Unstuck!
Although now I have no backing.........  ; )

Happy Stitching!
Staci

3 comments:

margaret said...

good to see you are sorted for your triangles, there will be no stopping you now on completing this beauty. I so agree it would be a shame to cut it into a square best of luck setting those triangles in

Blithe Quilts said...

I love the deep blue setting triangles! This is definitely the way to go. Although the pattern is nice, in my book, a pattern is only a guideline and a suggestion. Especially, when inspiration strikes. This quilt will e incredible.

Archie the wonder dog said...

Definitely the right choice!