Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Christmas Goose, A 2016 FAL Project

Christmas was LAST WEEK you say?  Really?  Hmmm.....
I do seem to run a season or two behind when it comes to quilty things!

This little bunch of half yards from Sweetwater's Holly's Tree Farm line was originally intended to become a bunch of improv Christmas tree blocks.  Pulled it out in October and I was ready to roll!  Until I really took a look at my prints and realized most of them are directional.....yeah, my quilter's OCD couldn't handle having trees and cars going all kinds of sideways.  So, back in the project box the fabric went until I came up with a new and better idea.  

One day right before Christmas it hit me! I do love a one block quilt, and Flying Geese just might be my favorite.  Yep, the time is right and the prints are darling!  Match made in quilty heaven. Not just any geese, these are going to be BIG GEESE-- 4 x 8. Here's the geese and sky units cut and ready to go.  The cream with the tiny grey dots is a Lakehouse Dry Goods Print.  The red pin dot is from another Sweetwater line called Volume II. 


Recently there was a happy afternoon spent binge watching Stranger Things on Netflix and drawing a LOT of diagonal lines and getting everything ready to sew. 


There are many, many, many methods for making Flying Geese and believe me, I have tried them all!  For this particular quilt I have opted for the traditional sew on the diagonal line and flip the corner open method.  Since this method normally produces a lot of waste I drew a second line a half inch away from the first and am sewing on both lines and cutting between them.


This eliminates the waste and gives a nice little present -- Half Square Triangles! Here is the first 12 Flying Geese and 24 bonus HST's.  Right now I have no idea how I'll use those HST's, but I'm sure I'll think of something! ; ) 


Bloc Loc Rulers are Brilliant!  I'm using one to trim my geese to perfection.  It does add an extra step to the process, but it doesn't take long and I feel it is time well spent to have each unit as uniform as possible.  I'll use another Bloc Loc ruler to trim the HST's, too.  

The blocks are made just a little larger.  As you can see there is very little waste to be trimmed off. These rulers are pricey, but for me they have been a good investment.


As I've mentioned before, I'm trying to conquer my scraps. While I was cutting the fabric for this quilt I had a chunk of scrap fabric left at the end of each strip.  The leftover bits were cut into 3.5 x 4x5 rectangles.  There are just enough pieces to make nine 9-Patch blocks.  This little bonus project has been nice for Leaders & Enders while working on the flying geese.  Each 9-patch will finish at  9 x 12.  Kinda thinking these might make a nice table runner, but time will tell. 


Yesterday by the end of the afternoon four 9-Patch Units, 40 Flying Geese and 80 HST's were created.   Off to a good start, don't you think??

This project was one my 2016 FAL list, and it will be one that rolls forward, but I'm okay with that.  It's better to set something aside until you're sure than to press forward and make something that you know you won't be happy with in the end.  

FAL 2016

Hope you are finding joy in your day, and a little time to sew!
Staci

2 comments:

margaret said...

these fabrics are perfect for your project, I struggle with flying geese and also the bloc locs have both one for HSTs and the geese one but they have been relegated to the box of rulers I do not use. looked so easy to do when I saw them demonstrated!

Jayne said...

these are lovely fabrics! I really like flying geese & have ordered a bloc loc - hopefully it will make them a bit easier to do. You are certainly powering through your FAL list.