Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Underground Blues, Part 1


Batiks seem to stir a lot of passion with quilters.  Seems like so many of us either adore them or despise them.  I don't work with batiks very often, but every time I do I ask myself why I don't use them more often.  Batiks are more tightly woven than most prints and stretch and fray less than prints which really makes them a joy.  This past week this stack of beautiful blue batiks and I have been busy!


The strips for this one need to be kept in the proper order so I used garage sale dots to mark them. Really handy for this kind of thing, and you can usually reuse them a couple times before they stop being stickers become so much confetti. 

A pair of fat quarters makes two strip sets.  Here's the first of my strip sets.  



After slicing each strip set becomes two blocks, so four blocks are made from each color combination.  
The big surprise for me with this project is the speed of it.  I expected FAST and got S L O W!  

But I keep plugging away with it and I am enjoying watching it grow!

Happy Stitching!
Staci


This project is included on my 2016 FAL List!


FAL 2016

4 comments:

Leslie can't stop quilting said...

I love batiks!! This is going to be a stunner!!!

margaret said...

I love batiks slowly building up a collection

Jenny said...

That's going to be fabulous - actually, it's fabulous already!!!

Archie the wonder dog said...

Gorgeous colours!