Friday, May 6, 2016

2016 FAL: Fabulous Finish - The 3 x 6 Sampler Quilt Mini Bee Quilt!

So, that title was a mouthful!  LOL

Anyway, here's a finish that was a very long time in coming.  Back in 2012 I participated in the 3 x 6 Sampler Quilt Mini Bee for an entire year.  It looks like this bee is no longer running, but it was a big deal in it's day and ran for many years.  In this bee, members were divided into groups of 6 and each person made the same block for everyone in the hive, but in the colors chosen by each person.  There was someting really satisfying and interesting about making the blocks up in different colors & styles.  It was a lot of work, but I enjoyed it.

My blocks were sewn into a quilt top in October 2013. The blocks had the usual bee block issue: they were all different sizes.  I sashes the blocks in solid black and bright green and then squared them all up to 14 inches square. The quilt top has sat in a box for years!  I know I just plain forgot about it!  Last year I bought some backing fabric for it and handed it off to the long arm quilter.  The FINALLY has the binding on it and it's finished!  It's the work of many talented quilters assembled together, and I must say--I think it is pretty Fabulous!!  

The Details
Name: The 3x6 Sampler Quilt
Blocks made the Bee Members
Size: 56 x 70
Batting: Hobbs 80/20
Quilting: Long Arm Quilted by Jeana Kubick of Busy Bees Quilting



 Here's a close up of the quilting.  I love the circles traveling across the quilt.


The binding is a silly text print.  It's a recipe for chicken soup.  The fabric was meant for someting else, but I mis-cut it.  I couldn't decide what to do with it, so I cut strips for binding and then set it aside figuring sooner or later I'd find a quilt to put it on.  I kinda love it!  It made me smile a lot as I was stitching it down.


Now there's a really fun quilt in the house! It makes me smile every time I see it or snuggle under it.  Plus!!  I got to check another one off the 2016 FAL list---wooo hooo!!!  That makes me SMILE, too!!


FAL 2016
click on the logo to visit the FAL


There still 6 more quilts to bind on my FAL list, so I better get busy!  

Hope you are keeping busy stitching, too!
Staci

5 comments:

Leslie can't stop quilting said...

Man oh man Staci you are a quilting machine!!! You are on fire!!! This is awesome....love those circles!!!

margaret said...

the blocks have gone together beautifully love the two colour sashing it works so well

Robby H. said...

It's great and I also kind of love those circles (bubbles?) moving across it. How nice to have it done, too.

Archie the wonder dog said...

What a great way to handle bee blocks!! Bravo!!!

Leanne said...

It's beautiful! I might have some blocks around from that bee too, good for you for finishing the quilt! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts.