Thursday, April 21, 2016

FAL Organization--Staying on Task

Today I thought I'd share how I keep on task with the FAL projects I've chosen.  
First, I keep a list of my projects posted on my bulletin board.  As you can see, I've broken the projects down into each task. There's also a list of the long term projects I'm working on, as well as a list of what I hope to accomplish each month.  

The FAL projects are stored in boxes in one corner shelf of the sewing room closet. 


Here's a closer look. 

These boxes from Costco aren't my favorite, but for the price is really great, 5 for $19. 
The boxes are meant for scrapbook paper, which is a true 12 x 12.  Now all quilter's know that a 12 x 12 quilt block unfinished is 12.5 x 12.5, so they aren't great for that size block storage.  They do work just fine for keeping fabric, patterns, thread and partially sewn units together though, as well as smaller quilt blocks.  

The box on the bottom is an Art Bin Super Satchel box.  This is my preferred box, but they are pricey at $20 each.  I have ONLY bought them on sale at Joann's and have scored them for as little as $7.50 each.  These boxes have a flatter bottom than the Costco boxes and will hold a 12.5 x 12.5 quilt block flat with no problem.  

You might remember all those quilts that need binding from my list.  They have a special place, too.  Right now there's three quilts in there, the rest are still at the quilter's house.  Might need another box when they come back!

I have to tell you that my little Daisy kitty thought me wedging myself into that odd little closet was absolutely fascinating and that she should be held while I took the photos.  She was very determined about it, too.  I'd pick her up and put her outside the closet and she'd run right back in and try to get on my lap purring purring purring.  Yep, I love that little stinker!

Hope there's joy and contentment in your day!
Staci

5 comments:

Leslie can't stop quilting said...

Staci.....I need you to come and help me in my sewing room!! You are so organized!!!

Archie the wonder dog said...

Blimey, that's organised!!

Lisa C said...

I don't have a working list like you do (that's a good idea) but I only work on about three quilts at a time. I have a few of those 12x12 boxes but my favorite are the kind where the lid comes completely off, they have these snap things on the end, and handle that folds flat. I get them at Joanns with coupons. They are big enough to hold fabric, thread, and pattern for a quilt. Thanks for letting us have a peek at your organization.

Sarah Craig said...

Staci, are your wood shelves from IKEA? I like those! And love your organization tips - thanks for sharing!

margaret said...

what great organisation you have, must make life so much easier when you know where everything is, I do try but fail to keep my things in some sort of order!