Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Sparkling, but S L O W L Y!

Back in 2012 Elizabeth Hartman of Oh, Fransson! held a little quilt along for her fabulous Sparkle Punch Quilt.  I love love love that quilt, so I sewed along and finished the quilt in March 2012  Here are a few pictures of my finished quilt, one of my all time favorites.  The quilt lives with my lovely DAUGHTER-IN-LAW now. 
LOVE all those colors!


Pieced back is fabulous!! Love how the quilting looks. 


Custom Quilting added such gorgeous TEXTURE!

The instructions for Sparkle Punch can be found HERE.
As much as I love this quilt, I have to tell you: It is SO BORING to make 384 wonky star points, but even as I slogged through them all, I knew I'd make another one someday.  I kept picturing black and white print stars with a bright colored background.  

So Guess What I'm Making??
Yep!  It's Time to Sparkle!

My one regret with the first quilt was the size, 60 x 72, I always wished it was a bit larger.   When I started cutting this one out I briefly considered making more stars, but making MORE star points wasn't very appealing. Then I had the AH-HA moment!  Make them LARGER!  By increasing the size of the squares from 3.5 to 4 inches this quilt will grow to 70 x 84.  
In January I started making a few star points here and there as I could find a little time for it. 
The stack on the left are the finished units, a total of 160 star points so far.  
The print stack in the center and the green stack on the right are pieces still waiting to be assembled.  
The plastic bags hold the partial stars for the edges of the quilt; these units will have 3, 2 or just 1 star point.   Keeping them separate so I don't confuse myself and go crazy later on!  I am making 4 extra stars just in case I need to balance the colors when the stars are arranged before assembly. 


My finished stack makes me so happy, but there's still have 244 to go!  My plan is to just keep at them a bit at a time and hopefully have them finished before the year is out.
 Can I do it?  I sure hope so!!

Wish me luck, okay?  And patience! LOL

Staci

The black and white prints are all from scraps and stash, a lot of them are Riley Blake prints.
The green solid is Michael Miller Cotton Couture in Limeade.

6 comments:

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

Fabulous pattern and I love the colours you've chosen for your larger version!

Shasta Matova said...

I agree that making that many stars can be tedious, but the results are so worth it. I wish you much patience and success.

Karee said...

Sparklicious! Call me crazy, I made my first Sparkle quilt even SMALLER... oh my heck. Those micro pieces were mind-numbing...!
I totally embrace your wisdom in making it larger. May just give it another go. Those micro pieces were mind-numbing...!

Sarah Craig said...

Oh what a great idea! I love this quilt too - like I need another quilt on the "bucket list" - and I have a stack of black and white prints I've been hoarding for a while, waiting for just the right design! Maybe this will be it - - - someday - - - - - - - - - - - - ;-)

margaret said...

what a lovely bright quilt and best of luck with the next one, a good idea to enlarge the blocks, off to look at the pattern now

Archie the wonder dog said...

I can't wait to see some of these blocks together!