Thursday, March 24, 2016

Allie Owl Quilt Top

The final day of the Allie Owl project was putting the quilt top together.  Dealing with the Essex linen was the thing I was most concerned about.  The seam allowances are a bit bulkier and resisted being pressed open, but it seems okay in the end.  
The one thing I learned though, be gentle with the pressing.  Essex is much stretchier than the quilting cottons and I have some distortion.  Next time I use it I will starch it first.  I believe once it's quilted,  washed & dried it will look  fine. 

Very glad this quilt top is assembled.  It turned out better than I had hoped.  I'm not sure I really enjoyed this project, though.  These owl blocks are pretty intense!  Not hard really, but surprisingly exacting.  I used my seam ripper an AWFUL lot!  


Details:
Pattern: Allie Owl by Elizabeth Hartman
Fabrics: Rhoda Ruth & Kona Solids from Robert Kaufman Fabrics
Essex Yarn Dyed Linen.
Size: 52 X 66

I am debating making the Fancy Forest quilt, so there might be more owls in my future.  So far I've made a hedgehog block, a bunny block (see them HERE) and now the owls.  The owls were the most challenging and the large Fancy Forest quilt has 8 of them.  Hmmm.... what to do?  Well, thankfully I don't have to decide today!

Happy Stitching!
Staci


7 comments:

Yaharalady said...

So cute

Leslie can't stop quilting said...

Thanks for all the great advice! They turned out so great. Are they for Stephanie?

Robby H. said...

They turned out pretty great. And just think how much wiser your owls will be if you revisit the pattern for the Fancy Forest quilt. ;-)

Sarah Craig said...

They are adorable, and the Essex linen is perfect for the background. While considering the Fancy Forest quilt, just remember Swoon blocks...... ;-)

margaret said...

the owls have gone together so well, the idea of a fancy forest quilt sounds interesting yes I am sure you can do it

Archie the wonder dog said...

Perfect!

Donna1111 said...

I have purchased the pattern for the Fancy Forest for the crib quilt size due to an upcoming baby shower. I have all the fabric but am using a grey cotton (not linen) for the background. I have been watching your progress hoping for tips. I don't think you scared me off yet! :-) I cut the colored fabric for the hedgehog so far but still need to do the background. Seemed like a good place to start. The owl seemed more challenging. Wish me luck!