Thursday, February 4, 2016

The Bluebell Constellation, Part 2

As you know, I've been working with Ribbon Star blocks made for me by my bee group a couple years ago.  The blocks were a thank you gift - so sweet of the group to do that!
To get this off the UFO list, first I needed to make 4 more blocks so I could have 6 complete rows for the quilt.  I pulled scraps and got busy cutting and stitching.

The Ribbon Star block was part of the Summer Solstice quilt along and the tutorial for the block can be found HERE on the Fresh Lemons site. The block isn't difficult, but it is a tad fussy with lots of points to match. It's a very pretty block! After I made the blocks I shuffled them in with the blocks the Bee girls made and kept shuffling until I was satisfied with the layout.  
If you've ever participated in a bee, you know that 12 quilters often turn out 12 blocks that are all be a different sizes.  My set of blocks had a lot that were spot on 12.5 inches square, but with the remaining blocks there was nearly 3/4 inch difference between the largest and smallest.  To make a quilt top work I needed the blocks to be the same size.  I debated on the best way to do this for a while and finally decided to sash each block on all four sides with oversized sashing strips and then cut them down to the same size.  I wanted to distract the eye from the size variations so I opted to sash every other block in silver grey.  Since I wasn't sure this was the best answer so I put together the top row to check out the effect. 

It was LOVE at first sight!


Here is the finished quilt top! 
Isn't it so scrappy happy?
Makes me smile every time I look at it & makes me think of all the lovely ladies who participated in our bee during 
The quilt top is 72.5 x 87.  This one will go out for long arm quilting as soon as I get the backing ready.  I'm planning to bind it with more of the silver grey solid. 

Yesterday I pulled this one off the design wall and started working on another UFO.  I'll show that one to you soon!  Oh my, is the next UFO very different! LOL

Happy Stitching!
Staci

3 comments:

Leslie can't stop quilting said...

I love what you have done!!! That grey is fantastic!!!

margaret said...

what a beauty and you got round the size difference so well looks super

WalkingWithFeathers said...

What a great solution - and it works marvelously! Love love how the grey sets off those beautiful colors!