Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Scatter Sunshine: The Round and Round Quilt Top

Way back in 2010--boggles my mind it was that long ago!!-- Amanda Jean Nyberg of Crazy Mom Quilts held a quilt along for her Round and Round Quilt.  As soon as she posted her sketch I knew I had to do it!  I pulled out a big pile of black and white prints, a sunny yellow print and bought a giant chunk of Ash Kona.  Ash was having it's heyday in 2010, I think!

I kept up with the quilt along, looked forward to every installment.  Things were going swimmingly through week 7.  When we hit week 8 though and added the last sections to the quilt top, I suddenly had pieces that no longer fit together properly. The last couple sections were too long for the quilt top.  I know I messed with them for quite some time taking in seam allowances and such, and finally kinda just slapped them on and hoped for the best.  The quilt top was such just such a mess there was no way it was going to work out well!  Here it is pinned up on my design wall.  It was a disaster, as you can see. Things lined up fine on one side but not the other.  6 years after the fact, I know my problem was an inconsistent seam allowance.  I'm a much better quilter now!  LOL 


Upper right corner

Lower left corner

Many many times I considered just squaring it up and finishing it the quilt -- just calling it a day, but I really do like this quilt top and just couldn't bring myself to do that.  I wished I could start the last sections all over again but didn't have enough fabric to do that so this poor quilt top has sat in a box for years!  

When I chose this project as a FAL goal I knew exactly what I'd do to fix this mess!  
Out came the seam ripper!  I realized that if I just took off those last two sections at the top and bottom I had a nice square quilt.  One good quilter habit I have had from the beginning is keeping all the leftover fabric pieces and scraps with my unfinished tops and I had quite a bit of that Ash Kona. Borders were cut, pieced and added and Voila!  Now I have a quilt top!  It measures a very nice 70 x 70.

Fabric for backing this quilt was set aside during that quilt along in 2010, too!  I am still quite in love with the sunny yellow flowers.  Did I ever tell you that I just adore yellow?  I really do!  I took the time to  pattern match the backing and think it turned out nicely!  


I'm naming this quilt "Scatter Sunshine".  As I was editing the photos on my computer I find the chorus to the hymn running through my head. 

'Scatter sunshine all along the way,
Cheer and bless and brighten 
Ev'ry passing day!'

Crossing this top of the UFO list feels just great!  
This one heads out to the long arm quilter tomorrow!

I've knocked out a scrappy quilt top and 3 UFO tops since the first of the year, I think it is time to start something new next week!!

Happy Stitching!
Staci



5 comments:

Leslie can't stop quilting said...

I have really liked this one for some time now. So glad you could repair it and enjoy it again! Love the backing!!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Sometimes things need to sit so either it catches up to us or we catch up to it. A good fix and it is a lovely quilt. Super backing fabric for this, too!

Sarah Craig said...

Very pretty, Staci, and a great way to solve that problem!!

margaret said...

so good to have returned to this quilt unpicking is a pain but it was so worth while loving the splashes of sunshine in it

Archie the wonder dog said...

It's gorgeous!!