Tuesday, January 12, 2016

My New Block of the Month?

A New Year is a great time for a new project, right?  
What better to begin than a Block of the Month, am I right?  
So this year I'll be working through Fat Quarter Shop's Designer Mystery Quilt....from umm, 2013........
Yep, 2013.  
Here it is, all safe in it's pretty red box.  All 12 blocks, the border & sashing kit, and apparently I even bought the backing kit for it, although I have no recollection of doing that.  I was quite surprised when I found it.  There's even some mini charms from the fabric line that was used for this one: Avalon from Fig Tree. 

I've purchased a BOM from a quilt shop twice, and neither one has ever been touched.  It sounds like such a great idea, doesn't it?  Every month a block kit appears in your mail box, spend a couple happy hours sewing and by the end of the year you get a lovely quilt!  Great plan!  More than I can manage, apparently! LOL 



Hubby and I were talking about 2013 when I was wondering just why I never started this quilt.  He pretty much summed it up in one sentence: "That's the year I retired from the Army and we moved to Texas."  Yep, it was a year of HUGE transitions, more than we ever imagined.  We packed out in January, moved to Texas the first few days of February, stayed with our daughter until we could find a house and move into it in March.  The rest of that year was strange and confusing for us trying to navigate civilian life after 30 years of military life.  I did make some good quilts that year, but just not this one!


So, 2016 will see this quilt made up & finished!!

I'm off to a good start with block #1. This quilt is a row quilt, and basket blocks make up the first row.  I've got the other two blocks cut out and ready to stitch. My plan is to make one row each month, and then the fourth month get the borders and sashing added.  

I am excited to get all those little packages out of that box and turned into a finished quilt!

Happy Stitching!

Staci

P.S. 
Thought you might like to see the "Out Takes" from this photo shoot.  We finally had a sunny day, so I grabbed the camera to snap a quick photo of the finished block.  However, it wasn't so quick...I had a helper.


First I took this lovely blurry shot.

Then there was this one as the camera practically flew out of my hands!
My daughter's utterly adorable Farm Girl Vintage Blocks.  I'll share those soon!
Then there's this one--

And this charmer!

Yep, Miss Daisy thought it was time for me to put that camera away and love up the Kitty!  

7 comments:

Yanicka said...

Better later than never :) Got to love those "helpers"

Vroomans' Quilts said...

It's a lovely pattern and fabrics - it patiently waited for it's turn. Enjoy!!

Leslie can't stop quilting said...

Oh boy Staci!!! That is the quilt that Pennie was making!!! So cute!!

June D said...

Great fabrics! The block is a great start! Will come back to see your progress.
Thanks for coming by my site too!
: )

I bet it's nice to be near your daughter again - what fun that she quilts too!

margaret said...

now you have started it |I am sure you will complete it, look forward to watching your progress. It must have been strange getting back to civilian life but so good to be near your daughter and maybe grandchildren?

Archie the wonder dog said...

That's a gorgeous block! And your helper looks, well, cute but distinctly unhelpful!

Karee said...

I am excited for you! I actually have a collection of kits that are what I take when we go for several months at a time to China. Everything I need all neatly packaged.