Thursday, September 17, 2015

Farmer's Wife Quilt Top--Goal Complete


The Farmer's Wife Quilt Top is complete!  There is so much JOY in my heart as I write those words!  It really is completed, and I love it even more than I had hoped. 

My lovely friend Leslie and I began our quilts in January 2012.  I finally finished the last block in December 2013.  November 2014 I pulled out the blocks and played around with the layout and worked on assembling the top just a little bit.  I encountered some frustration with it and put it away.  Well, the time had come, it was time to get this thing together and it became my goal for September 2015.  

Quilt Name: The Farmer's Wife
Pattern: The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt by Laurie Aaron Hird
Fabrics: Mostly from Annie's Farmstand by Lakehouse Dry Goods, supplemented by other Lakehouse Dry Goods collections
Size: 75.5 x 95.5


I chose to do the final layout differently than shown in the book.  I opted to finish the quilt off with oversized setting triangles so the center to could float in that sea of black and white polka dots, and to skip the borders entirely.  

Here a couple of close ups of quilt top, because I just couldn't stop taking pictures! The quilt has been on my design wall for several days.  Every time I walk past it I can't resist reaching out to touch it and SMILING!!




The quilt will go out for long arm quilting, and my quilter is quite backlogged at this point in the year, so it will be probably February 2016 before I see it again, but I know she'll do a fabulous job on the quilting, so it will be worth the wait! She will work all kinds of magic on this quilt! 

Hope your day is full of magic, too!
Staci

13 comments:

Lisa C said...

The top is beautiful. I can't imagine waiting that long to get a quilt back. She must be fabulous! I've waited six weeks and felt that was forever! On the other hand, it will be new again to you and exciting to bind. Great job.

Leslie can't stop quilting said...

I am just so proud of you Staci.....this was a fabulous journey to take together!!! I am getting closer to the end of mine....so many other sewing projects keep getting in the way!!! What is your backing fabric?

Mary said...

I have mine waiting to be quilted by ME! My machine is skipping stitches and frustrating me to no end today! I need to set a goal to quilt it by next Quilt show in the Spring. Happy You met your Goal. The black really set it off!

Raewyn said...

Well done - you are rightly pleased, it looks great!!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Just stunning and contatulations on the finish.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

What a beautiful and amazing accomplishment. Congratulations! :)

Bethany said...

So beautiful!! What an incredible accomplishment! I really like the over sized setting triangles. It's quite stunning!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

That turned out great! I do like how the blocks float with the setting triangles. Wonderful job!

Gina said...

Love this quilt. It's gorgeous. I'm not sure I could wait that long for my quilt to get back home from the quilter's.

Ranch Wife said...

Oh be still my beating heart! I remember when you first started those blocks and I drooled over each and every one! You have an incredible sense of color - those dark setting triangles just make those blocks shine!

Peaches1003 said...

This is great! I have done about 4 blocks of mine...This makes me want to get stuck back into it

Edith said...

I get how good this finish feels, I participated in A Lovely Year of Finishes for the first time in September - such a great idea. I do like how you documented your quilt, name size, fabric, I might copy that format in the future. Congratulations on a Finish.

ClotheslineCottons said...

Congratulations on a lovely finish! It's beautiful, I love the colors you chose to use.