Monday, September 28, 2015

Farmer's Wife 1930's -- A Fresh Start!

GnomeAngel.com


If you've spent any time in quilting blogland you know what today is, right?  Yep!  The kick off for Gnome Angel's Farmer's Wife Sampler 1930's Sew Along--a day eagerly anticipated by literally thousands of crazy quilters.

I've been busily gathering up my supplies for the last few weeks and now I am ready to get going and so excited!  While I did actually love using the paper templates for my first Farmer's Wife, I splurged on the Marti Michell templates for this one.  For some of the blocks though, I know I'll want to paper piece so I picked up some translucent vellum as well. 


Since my first Farmer's Wife Sampler has a bright Autumnal feel to it and a black border I wanted this new sampler to be very different.  This one has a decidedly summer feel to it, I think.  My Daughter and I did a little shop hop through our area and picked up all kinds of pretties.  I love making fabric stacks! My inspiration print for this quilt is this green floral from the Bloom & Bliss collection by Riley Blake fabrics.  Couldn't resist it!  It's my favorite shade of bright green, and the flowers are charming.

As you can see, I drew the rest of the colors from it.  Since I am quite certain it is impossible to have to many polka dots, those happy spots are featured in many of my pieces.  From my experience with the first Farmer's Wife I know a few more prints will be added as I go along, but this big pile will be the backbone of my quilt.

I hadn't actually looked at the fabric bundle that Fat Quarter Shop is selling for this quilt until this morning.  I had a good laugh-- so many of the prints I picked are in Gnome Angel's chosen bundle, too!  Great minds thinking alike??? LOL

The background will be the white fabric with the little grey dots, a wonderful print from Lakehouse Drygoods.   Since I am unsure exactly how I will finish this quilt, I bought the whole bolt!  It's such a great basic I have no worries about using up the leftovers later on.
That's a whole lotta dotties!
The fabric is starched, pressed and safely stored -- all ready to go!
Waiting for the starch to dry!

Starched fabric can attract insects, so storage in a plastic box is a good idea!
Plus it keeps everything clean and organized!


Are you joining the Farmer's Wife 1930's journey?

Happy stitching!

Staci

5 comments:

Mary said...

YES, I'm following along and will collect the PDF's and Template instructions from Marti! I made my Farmer's Wife with her help so I trust the Templates!!!

margaret said...

would have loved to join but I purchased the original book presume this one is different. Mind you have not started it yet it is on the very long to do list!

Kymberly said...

Love your fabric bundle. My Farmer's Wife blocks have been in hibernation for several months, but hopefully seeing all of the 1930s blocks will inspire me to pull mine out of hibernation.

Archie the wonder dog said...

I'm going to enjoy watching your progress!

Ranch Wife said...

And let the drooling commence once again! I fell in love with that Bloom and Bliss fabric when I first saw this post and I had to buy some for a baby quilt. It arrived today and I'm definitely going to need more. I'll be eagerly watching your progress on these. Does this constitute stalking?! :)