Wednesday, August 5, 2015

ALYOF August 2015 Goal

Reaching my goals has just not happened the last couple months.  It's been a surprisingly busy summer!  But now that life has calmed down a little bit, I'm hoping to get going again.  I did have three days set aside in July to work on my goal, but ended up deep cleaning the sewing room.  Although it left the July goal unfinished, I can't say I'm sorry.  It is so nice to have things cleaned up and organized.  I have a big silly grin on my face every time I walk in that room!

So, here again is the goal I chose in June, and this month it's going to be FINISHED!!

A Lovely Year of Finishes

Time to choose another UFO to knock of the list!  
Back in August of 2012 I gathered up a selection of beautiful blue batiks and several yards of Black and White Kona to make the Roller Rink Quilt from Modern Patchwork by Elizabeth Hartman.   I seem to have no photos of my fabric stack, but here's a couple from the early part of the construction process. First strip sets were created and then chopped into small units. 

The light to dark strip sets are for the black frames.


 The dark to light strip sets are for the white frames. 

Lots of happy sewing commenced and soon all the units with white frames were finished. 
And that's when I found the Oooopsie!
Did you catch it? 
ALL the white frames were sewn to the strip sets meant for the black frames!
 After a lengthy debate, I decided to leave it alone and move forward. 
The quite was renamed: Skating Backwards! 

Even backwards, the units are look pretty great!

Soon I had a finished quilt top and backing.


After a long long delay, I pulled this out, layered it up and began quilting it just a few weeks before we moved to Texas.  You know what's coming next right?  Yep, not enough hours in the day and I didn't get it fiinished before the move--and here it is over 2 years later and it's STILL a UFO!
But not for much longer!!

I seem to be about half finished with the quilting & feeling a little excited and nervous about finishing it.  This will be my first experience free motion quilting on my beautiful new sewing machine.  Yep, there will be quite a bit of practice in the new week!


My A Lovely Year of Finishes goal for June AUGUST is to finish the quilting AND get the binding attached!  By the end of the month Skating Backwards will be FINISHED!!

Wish me luck!!
Staci

5 comments:

Archie the wonder dog said...

I love this quilt - good luck with it!

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

It looks great as it is. It does funny things to my eyes when I look at the photo - there's movement in there. Good on you for pressing on. I'm at that stage too of almost pulling out something that hasn't had any attention for about 2 months.

margaret said...

this is super and adding the black and white sashings to each block means no sashing to add at the end which is a part I do not enjoy. I have a few quilts in the flimsy stage as my quilting is not very good, mind you if I do not practice it will not improve will it

feltfree på Åsly said...

What a lovely quilt. Good luck

Gina Smith said...

I love this quilt. the quilting on it is great and the backing is wonderful