Monday, July 6, 2015

Poodle Pincushions for a Swap

My embroidery hours have been filled up with pooffy Poodle Pincushions!  

I belong to the Mini Quilt Trading Swap  (MQTS) group on flickr and we just finished up a little pincushion side swap.  My swapping partner is Bouncy Poodle, aka Pattiann.  Pattiann is my buddy; she's a co-Bee Mama with me for Coast to Coast Quilting Bee, and one of the most creative people I know so I was really excited about having her as my partner.  

Pattiann's sewing room is decorated in bright pink, black, white and grey so the colors and theme were easy choices.  I found some great vintage patterns at BlondiesSpot on Etsy, dug up this polka dot Lakehouse Drygoods print from the stash, my box of DMC floss and got busy.

First I stitched up a little black poodle puppy.  It's stuffed with a combination of fiberfill and poly beads. I boxed the edges on this pincushion to make it a bit deeper. It's about 3.5 inches square-ish. Looks like he's ready to play, doesn't it?

Next I decided to make this elegant grey poodle, and I think she really turned out great.  This pincushion is kinda huge, almost 6 inches square. This one is also stuffed with fiberfill and poly beads, but I didn't box the edges, so it's just cushion style.  I love this poodle and I just can't look at this one and not smile!

As I was browsing in an antique shop one day I spotted this poodle figurine and started to laugh.  Apparently these were a big thing in the 1950's and are known as spaghetti poodles, although this one doesn't have the traditional spaghetti style fur. As soon as I saw her, I knew she needed to go in Pattiann's package.  She has a bit of attitude, doesn't she?

Hope you're finding time for some stitching that makes you smile, too!
Staci

PS. If you enjoy vintage embroidery patterns, do be sure and check out BlondiesSpot on Etsy. There are some really darling things in the shop, and over 300 patterns are available as instant PDF downloads.

7 comments:

Beth J said...

That is adorable.

Gina said...

Those poodles are adorable

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Your pincushions are adorable, but the added touch of the porcelain figure is just special.

desertskyquilts said...

I'm not a big dog lover, or poodle lover, but these are just the cutest things! I love both of them.

Renee said...

Your poodles make me smile, too! What adorable pincushions! The spaghetti poodle does seem like the perfect addition. How fun!

Archie the wonder dog said...

Very cute!

SuperMomNoCape said...

Love those poodles! And that little figurine was a perfect addition. I'm sure your swap partner will be thrilled with her gifts.

Thanks so much for linking up to last week's Stitchery Link Party!