Saturday, May 30, 2015

ALYOF May 2015 Goal Complete!!






May's Goal is Complete!
Here's my Mod Mosaic Quilt top all put together.  I just love it!  I'm so happy I changed up my plans and made a larger quilt with the Pomegranate background instead of the grey.

Pattern: Mod Mosaic Blocks from Elizabeth Hartman of Oh, Frannson!
Made by the lovely ladies of Orange You Glad Bee in July of 2012
Fabrics are all Kona Cottons.  Colors used were Pale Mint, Honey Dew, Buttercup, Papaya, School Bus, Orange, Tangerine, Coral, Ash, White and Pomegranate.
Size: 62 x 72

I thought you might enjoy seeing the process shots of the quilt top coming together.  There's a wonderful tutorial on how to do this on Oh, Frannson!, but the blog is down for a big update and has been for a while.  I'd read the tutorial last year, so I was working from what I could remember and whatever my imagination could come up with!
Here's the shot of the blocks arranged on the design wall again. The area marked off is about 60 x 70.

The quilt top was divided into sections.  Here's my note book showing section 3.  I drew in the blocks and then decided where all the seams needed to be and in what order I'd add the background pieces.

Now I didn't take all those measurements at once!  I'd measure where the first background section or two would go, write down the dimensions, adding seam allowances and an extra 1/8 inch for safety.  As I pulled down the blocks, one at a time, I marked the edges and center with pins so I could get it back in the right place before working with the next pieces.  I stopped and measured measured and checked the measurements each time.  As I determined the sizes, I'd write it down, cut, sew and place it back on the wall.  


Here's how the sections came together. 
Section 1
As you can see, I began in that lower right corner.  There's only 2 blocks and the pieces are large, so it seemed the safest spot to begin. I extended the pieces about 1.5 inches beyond the markers for the size of the quilt top because I knew I needed fudge room for squaring it up at the end  

Section 2
Where possible the edges of the blocks are right in the seam lines.

Section 3 

Section 4
After this section came together it was time to sew all the sections together.
The top is complete!  It's ready for squaring up!  I was surprised how close it was to square--less than an inch from each side was removed.  

In case you might be wondering, I had 3 yards of the Pomegranate solid to work with.  I measured and cut very very carefully because I was terrified of running out.  When the top was finished I had 12 inches left!  


Every quilt needs a label, so I embroidered this one.  After I had it all nicely pressed I realized I'd forgotten something really important--the date!  Ooops! I'll be taking a few minutes and stitching that in today. The orange is from a pattern I purchased online, but I can't remember from where or the pattern designer since I can't find the pattern.  If anyone recognizes it, please give me a shout out so I can give credit where it's due.  It's a seriously cute little orange!

There you have it!  May's goal is completed and I couldn't be happier with it.  I'll be sending this out for long arm quilting next week. 

Happy Stitching!
Staci

8 comments:

Shanna of Fiber of All Sorts said...

Seriously looks amazing! Great job making this quilt. ♥

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What's the word I am looking for? Oh yeah - OHMYGOSH!!!!!

Karen said...

Yay for a finish! Thanks for the photos how you put the blocks together. I wondered how you tackled that. I used to think the maths would do me in but seeing your photos makes me think I could tackle putting a quilt together in that way. Love your choice of solid for putting it all together.

margaret said...

this is a real beauty and yes the pink works wonderfully with the blocks. Thanks for sharing how you put it together, I do love a quilt with assorted sized blocks and now can see how to construct one.

Nicky said...

Love the zesty goodness! And all the progress shots

Deb Chimes said...

The colours are amazing! A really gorgeous quilt.

Archie the wonder dog said...

It's fabulous!!

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

It looks great. Good on you for going for a strong background colour. It sets the blocks off nicely. Love your embroidered label.