Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Tote Bags!

Sewing with my Daughter is the best way to spend an afternoon or two!  Recently we got together to make some cute tote bags.  Daughter found the pattern for the "Dinner Party Grocery Bag" in this book  "Sew Practical" by Patchwork Place.  In fact, we made the totes featured on the cover of the book. 

The outside of the bags are made with heavy canvas fabric but the inside lining is laminated cotton. This was the first time either of us had used laminated fabrics in a project and we were a little nervous, but a kind lady who works in Creations of Kerrville  (wonderful shop!!) gave us some very sound advice.  She suggested we use a non stick foot for the sewing machine, lengthen out our stitches and keep things together with small Wonder Clips rather than pins where ever possible.  

Hubby actually helped us out with this project, too.  The bottom of each bag is rigid because there's a piece of thin plywood in it. He was kind enough to hit the home improvement store for it, and to cut it to size at home!

The bags have soft sides with no batting between the layers so they can be folded up when not in use.  

This is Daughter's tote bag.  She used a brown & green polka dot canvas from Moda's Oh Deer! collection for the outside and the green & cream houndstooth laminated fabric for the lining is from Free Spirit.  
Daughter's bag, the super cute outside!

Peek inside Daughter's bag. 

This is my bag. The outer fabric is Mochi dots cotton & linen canvas from Moda and the laminated lining fabric is from Riley Blake.  
Outside of my tote bag. 

The very bottom of the bag has a piece from my daughter's fabric.  I goofed on my cutting and ruined that piece of my fabric and didn't have enough left to cut another.  Daughter's fabric was wider, so she shared a piece with me.  The colors all work together very well! That's the piece that has the plywood base inside it.  
Inside of my tote bag. The houndstooth covers the plywood base and is removable.

These totes were a fun project, and a learning experience.  The laminated fabrics were easier to work with than I imagined, and I look forward to playing with them again in the future.  

Now, maybe we need to go shopping and fill these bags up with something?
Hmmmm.........What would you suggest??

Happy Stitching!  
Staci

5 comments:

Karen said...

I would be happy taking those bags to the grocery shop! Sounds like it was very much a family project with all of you contributing.

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

We've been making bags here too - a mother and daughter combo over Easter. I think a job like this is easier with someone else to check on progress and offer encouragement. Your bags look lovely and I'm sure they will be useful.

LuAnn said...

What gorgeous bags! Of course they would be used to hold a quilt project along with the extra fabric and pattern. Does your LQS have the laminate fabric?

Archie the wonder dog said...

They're fabulous!

Ranch Wife said...

I have been wanting to make some totes for some time, but have been apprehensive about using laminate fabrics. Thank you for dispelling my fears. Both of your totes are really lovely and now I REALLY have to make some.