Friday, March 27, 2015

Now I Know My ABC's!


Whew!  It's finished!  April's goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes has been reached!

I feel like I've done a stitching marathon with this one.  It took many many hours; many more than I ever thought it would. By the time I got to the horizontal sashing and all the low volume prints on the back I was working with scraps which always takes longer.
Here's the front of my Alphabet Sampler Quilt.  Most of the letters and filler blocks were made by members of my bee, Coast to Coast Quilters.

This is the the back--it's a giant quilt label.  Measured the label section incorrectly and then calculated the size for the patchwork squares sections based on the wrong numbers so it's a lot bigger than it needs to be.  Ooops! My long arm quilter always teases me that I can't ever get the backing sized correctly, so this is just further proof that she's right! ; )

The patterns for the letters, symbols and numbers are from Moda's Spell It With Fabric Blog Hop.
Most of my prints are from Folklore by Lila Ashbury, although a lot of others have been tossed in the mix. The quilt will finish at about 60 X 68.  I'll be sending it off for long arm quilting next week.

Yay!  I reached the finish line before the last day of the month!

Happy Spring Stitching!
Staci

9 comments:

Lynette said...

How fun to make the back a giant label, Staci! :D

Sarah Craig said...

It's wonderful, Staci!

Kathy S. said...

I love the back as much as the front! Beautiful!

curious said...

The backing is great! Just the right size. You shouldnt make excuses, just say thank you when people tell you how lovely your quilt is. Besides if you dont tell people how are they to know it wasnt the size you thought it was going to be. It turned out the size it SHOULD be . Sincerely, Paula K.

Rebecca said...

I made the Moda ABC's for a quilt for the library. But instead of making one quilt I made each letter a quilt and used numbers and shapes for the back. I wound up hand quilting the individual blocks because I did not want the tightness of machine quilting showing thru. Now I need to decide if I count that as one quilt or 26?

Sandy said...

What a fun quilt. I think the backing is great. Congrats on you finish.

Karen said...

What a wonderful top and backing. Can't wait to see it all quilted up. I always make my backings too large for my quilter but at least its not too small!

Archie the wonder dog said...

What a great quilt back!

Bethany said...

What a fun quilt!! Great job!! I want to do a bee quilt so badly!! :)