Friday, January 9, 2015

Fabulous Friday Finish--City Park

Here's another 2014 Finish--The City Park Quilt



Details--
Pattern: City Park By Cherry House Quilts
Fabrics: Many Colors of Kona Cotton
Backing: Widescreen 108 Wide from Robert Kaufman
Professionally Long Arm Quilted by Pat Boeck
Dimensions: 63 x 72
Started: 18 September 2014
Finished: Late December 2014

My quilter did a wild spiky meander all over the quilt in variegated thread.  Perfect for this quilt!! Here's a couple close ups and a peek at the backing. 


While I think the finished quilt is really wonderful, I was not pleased with the pattern itself.  I felt it was one of the worst patterns I've ever used, and am very thankful that the quilt is quite simple. The diagrams for cutting and block assembly are confusing and illogical.  There are errors about the number of pieces to be cut from several of the colors, in some instances too many and in others, too few. Cutting took many hours. There are 17 fabrics in it and each one must be cut separately.  Took me around 8 hours over 2 days to get it cut out.  While the cutting is an exercise in patience, the way the colors are used is what gives the quilt is personality. Block assembly goes very quickly, as does actually sewing the blocks into rows and ultimately the quilt top.  

This one will be gifted, it was made with love for a family member!

Happy Sewing!
Staci






3 comments:

Debbie said...

This is stunning. However, I just gasped when I read your post, as I have all the fabric for this pattern ready to cut and I was a bit confused myself about the cutting instructions. Reading about your issues with this concerns me. Any hints on which had too few pieces? Did you reach out to Cherry for advice?

greeneggs said...

I love the finished quilt. Also really appreciate the honest pattern review.

Mrs.Pickles said...

wow that is quite the eye catcher!