Monday, January 5, 2015

2015: Looking Ahead

Happy New Year!  
Yeah, I'm a little late with that, but wow it's been busy around here!  Today's the day things return to 'normal' and real life returns now that the happy whirlwind of the holidays has passed.  

First off, let me introduce you to my new friend!  She arrived on New Years Eve and so far I've only had about an hour to use it, but today is the day!  We are going to start bonding over those last few City Sampler blocks I need to sew.  


She's the Pfaff Performance 5.0.  She can do all kinds of nifty tricks, and I am eager to learn about all of them. The last thing I ever expected to do was get a new machine, but Hubby had other ideas. Truly, I am still in a state of shock over it all!  She's very lovely, isn't she?  Anyone have any suggestions for a name?

My Sewing Goals for 2015

1.  Learn to use my new machine!  

2.  Sew My Stash.  
So much pretty fabric in there that's earmarked for specific projects & I want to use it! New fabrics will arrive over the course of the year, but I'm so eager to make things with the lovely prints & solids I already have. 

3.  UFO's.  
Work steadily through the list, that's my plan! The majority really are pretty close to the finish line.  Hoping to complete around one a month.

4. Scraps!
See all the boxes on the lower shelves?  Scraps!  
This photo is from last summer. 6 months of sewing later and most of the boxes will no longer close! Just adore scrap quilts, but they take more time, so I've developed a little plan to help me make a couple this year.  You'll see more about this soon.



5.  Long Term Project with my Daughter
Last year we worked on our City Sampler Quilt.  We are very close to both having completed tops, and are in the planning stage of our new project.  We've chosen the Building Blocks Quilt by Moda. 


6.  Learn to Let Go
Looking over the UFO list, there are some items that really don't need to be finished--they need to be discarded.  Skills improve over time, tastes in style and color do, too.  Some things will be chalked up to learning experiences and let go--without regret!  Some will be donated, some turned into a different projects and a few will end up in the rubbish bin, and that's just fine!

7. Fewer Commitments with Deadlines
One Bee and One Swap Group--That's plenty!
I'm still running a Flickr quilting bee, Coast to Coast Quilters and enjoying the new challenges that the MQTS (Mini Quilt Trading Swap) brings me. Need to make sure I always have the time to give both these groups the attention they deserve. 

There it!  The plan for 2015, and a simple plan at that.   Can I stick to it?  Stay tuned!  ;-)

Staci

PS. Just in case you ever wondered how a sewing machine would look if it had a furry tail--

7 comments:

Leslie can't stop quilting said...

I love your machines new look with a tail....maybe her name is Kitty!!!

sunny said...

Congrats on the new machine! Mine didn't have a tail when I got it, this must be a new feature. I think your goals sound good. I'm on a major scrap busting mission right now. I sorted all my scraps by color a couple of days ago, and I was amazed by how much fabric is in the bins. Good Luck!

WoolenSails said...

That is a wonderful machine. I have the creative vision and really too much for me, wish I had known and waited for the new versions. I love using mine for free motion and it does a beautiful job with couching yarns with the special foot.

Debbie

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

Wow your space is so beautifully organized! Impressive sewing machine, look like fun.

Lin's Quilts said...

I admit, I did wonder how a sewing machine would look with a furry tail. My true confession is out in the open now.

margaret said...

what a splendid machine you have there, and wow all that fabric and you are buying more! I looked at the moda building blocks but decided against it a bit complicated for me. Do hope to start the farmers wife quilt as I have bought all the classes from craftsy but keeping my list for 2015 shorter this year

Archie the wonder dog said...

Enjoy getting to know your machine and good lick with your goals for the coming year x