Sunday, November 30, 2014

Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt on the Wall

Hey, do you believe it?  
A post that isn't about City Sampler or Quilt Binding!  

In January 2012 my friend Leslie and I started our Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilts.  Here's the first two blocks in my project box. I kept asking myself if I was CRAZY!! 111 template cut 6 inch blocks!  What the heck was I thinking?

As the project progressed I learned so much!  With a few notable exceptions that made me want to scream, these little blocks such a joy, and the feeling of accomplishment when each was finished was wonderful.  Farmer's Wife has made me a better, more accurate quilter.  The experience of making all these blocks has been invaluable.  Not too much scares me any more when it comes to piecing. 

Almost 2 years and 111 blocks later the lid no longer fits on the project box. In December 2013 all the blocks were finally finished!  

Thanksgiving afternoon my Daughter and H
usband took all these blocks and did this with them! Now, to give you some perspective on what you see, our house has very high ceilings and that design wall is 8 feet tall!!  Both of them were up on step ladders to put up those first four rows.  

The blocks were put up on the wall in the order they came out of the box with no thought other than just getting the spacing correct, which is a challenge since it is all on point, so this is FAR from the final layout.  Right now my Daughter and I are struggling with Quilter's OCD as we arrange, rearrange, rearrange, rearrange and rearrange some more.  

It's finally up on the wall!  I can't believe it!! And I can't stop SMILING!!

Hope there is lots of smiling going on at your house!

Staci

PS: If you'd like to have a closer look at my blocks, click HERE.

15 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Congratulations!! It looks wonderful - smile all you want.

Conni said...

wow, good for you, I am crazy enough to think I might want to start that project too. It looks great!

Rebecca said...

Oh WOW... So wondermuss!(yes wondernuss is a word in my dictiornary). I have a small stack of the blocks from the farmers wife somewhere, but I have to admit as wonderful as your layout is I have no desire to make more of mine! Great Job Lady!

Ranch Wife said...

There is NOW after reading this post! I have loved watching your progress on each and every block for this quilt! What fun to see it all coming together!

Linda said...

It is beautiful just the way it is. I would love to make something like this, but not sure I have the patience.

margaret said...

wow, Ihave bought the book but not dared try any blocks yet, I am going to have to buy the instructions from crafty, will start after Christmas or maybe buy myself the first set on instructions as a Christmas present for myself

brownj6610 said...

For those of you who haven't started yet, Marti Michel has posted a set of instructions for using her templates to make almost all the Farmer's Wife blocks. The templates aid accuracy in piecing the blocks.

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

This story could have gone either way. I thought you were going to say that 2 years later there were still only 2 blocks in that box. But no, you've finished all the blocks. Well done. What an achievement. It looks great on the wall. I love the colours that you've chosen. I can totally understand that you keep smiling at it. Enjoy the fact that you've got this far.

sunny said...

Awesome! I think I have about a dozen blocks made. I was working with a bloggy partner too, but we both seem to have lost interest. But I'm unemployed at the moment, and I plan to get back to it after Christmas. Have fun with your block placement.

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

It looks incredible! :)

Sarah Craig said...

Staci, that is amazing!! I don't think I would ever take on a Farmer's Wife quilt, so I'm going to enjoy yours vicariously. I can't wait to see the finished quilt!!

Lesley Gilbert said...

I am fairly new to your blog and I just checked out all your block photos on flicker - the designs are amazing and so colourful - I guess that's one of the reason I added you - all that colour - wonderful :)

Anina said...

Oooh! I love your blocks. The fabrics you chose are wonderful!
Of to go have a look at your Flickr photos.

Archie the wonder dog said...

It's brilliant! I hope you're soon happy with the placement of all the blocks and can get cracking with the sewing!

Sarah said...

So glad you have a design wall you can leave them up on. Taking them down or having to pack away all the time would be a nightmare! With arranging the blocks I find looking at a picture of the layout on my phone helps. It highlights colours or shapes all together better than looking with the naked eye does for some reason.