Thursday, September 25, 2014

A Finish That Took A LONG Time!

Back in April 2013 I started following Sherri from A Quilting Life as she hosted a Solids Along quilt along. She used patterns from the Moda Friendship Blog Hop which had recently taken place.  Since I love sampler quilts, solid fabric, quilt alongs and Sherri's blog, joining was a no brainer.  As my Dear Friend followed my journey of making the quilt blocks she commented that they looked like colorful candies, and the name Candy Box seemed perfect for this quilt. 

By July of 2013 I had a quilt top assembled. The quilt went off to the long arm quilter and when it got back all I needed to do was add binding.  That's when I got stalled!  It sounds silly, but I just couldn't choose! Do I use another solid?  Do I go for a print?  What kind?  What Color?  It was silly!  I dragged my poor quilt all over San Antonio's many quilt shops auditioning binding.  Finally, I bought about 5 different pieces of fabric.  When I got it home, I decided nothing was right, so I just put it all away.  And there it stayed, on a shelf in the closet.  Over the summer I decided it was time to get it finished, and I am so glad I did.  In the end I used a simple black and white polka dot for the binding since it reminded me of the glassine papers that old time candy is nestled into when packed in boxes.  


 It was professionally long arm quilted, however the quilter and I had a breakdown in communication. I asked for the all over pattern that appears in the center, but she also added feathers to the border.  I was rather surprised, but I really do love it and the quilting adds so much charm and dimension.  The dimensions of the finished quilt are approximately 62 x 72.

Here's a close up of the quilting, and long suffering Hubby's fingers and he struggles to hold it up while I'm madly snapping away with the camera!

My Candy Box was more than a year in the making, but worth it in the end, don't you think?   =)

Happy Stitching!
Staci

9 comments:

Sarah said...

It's beautiful! I love the saturated colours. They are so well balanced over the quilt as you've laid them out too. Great finish! I know, I stall at stupid spots in the process too sometimes, for silly reasons. When I get back into the project I think why didn't i do this ages ago.

Archie the wonder dog said...

It's gorgeous - so fresh and bright!

Raewyn said...

Fresh and pretty - well worth the wait!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Well it certainly waited for the right binding as it is perfect for it - love the name you chose for it. It is a box of candy.

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

What a lovely quilt, and I think your choice for the binding was just right. There are so many happy, bright colours in this quilt. I hope you enjoy using it.

Mary said...

It's beautiful. Well worth the wait. The binding is always my favorite part!

Ranch Wife said...

That is the perfect name for a perfectly lovely quilt! You have such a good eye for color.

Leslie can't stop quilting said...

I love it Staci!!! It really is so you!!!

margaret said...

a wonderful quilt so colourful and so many interesting blocks to see and admire