Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Where My Time Went in 2012

In 2012 I devoted a huge amount of time to sewing something other than my own quilts.  If you've been reading my blog for the last year you'll probably guess that  I was making....Bee Blocks. Now I knew I had made a lot of blocks, but I must tell you when I counted them up I about fell right out of my chair!  

Are you ready for this?
I made 72 Bee blocks in 2012!!
Can you believe that?  
72
I can't even believe that!!
72!!!  

No wonder I only finished 7 quilts!!
And yes, I have totally lost my mind..... and no, I won't be doing that number of bee blocks in a single year ever, ever, ever, ever again!!

 I just went page by page through my flickr steam and and created mosaics of the blocks.  I probably should have organized the blocks by bee instead of chronologically, but I just didn't feel like sorting them all out!  So, here they are!






A couple of these are actually pieced signature blocks, and 6 are sample blocks for my own quilts when it was my turn as hostess.  Now of course as I was creating blocks for others, those same others were creating blocks for me.  Right now I have 6 sets of bee blocks waiting to be turned into quilts of my own, as well as a quilt top made from 2011 bee blocks that has never been layered and quilted.

So, this year I am cutting back on quilting bees!  I think I'll limit myself to just one at a time.  
Is there a sewing-something you'll be cutting back on in 2013?

Here's to Happy Stitching in 2013!

6 comments:

Anita said...

WOW...you were super busy! I love these little mosaics...I don't know how to make things like that. =)

I don't think I'm cutting back anything in the sewing room, but then again, I didn't make 72 Blocks! =)

Those diamond style blocks in the second group of pictures...is there a free pattern for those anywhere? I love them!

LynCC said...

Wow!! That's something to be happy about, all that bee-block accomplishment :)

Newbie Jen said...

Wow! 72 is pretty amazing! And they are all just beautiful!!!!

Tiffany said...

Yowza! What a fun way to spend the year! And now you have six relatively easy WIPs all ready to go. :) My goal is to NOT cut back this year. Except for maybe on fabric spending. My stash is probably full enough at the moment. ;) It will be my first full year as a stay-at-home mom (read - NO more full time job, wahoo!). I intend to get as much sewing in as I can! Maybe I really should join a bee. Sounds scary to me, though...

Colleen said...

Yep swaps are addictive! Its why I have enough blocks from the 90s in my trunk to make about 15 quilts! Good luck! * and from the last two years to make another 5!)

Susan Entwistle said...

Lovely blocks, and I'm sure you had fun making all of them.