Tuesday, January 8, 2013

2013 Stitchy Goals

Did you make New Year's Resolutions?
I'm a chronic list maker and goal setter, but not a New Years Resolution person.  That isn't stopping me from starting the year with some Stitchy Goals in mind though, and today I thought I'd share my list with you!  I'm keeping my list short and simple.

Goals for 2013:

1.  Finish Farmer's Wife Quilt.  
I've got 36 blocks left to make, and then the sashing and borders to be added.  I'm so excited to finish my quilt, but I know I'll miss this wonderful, wonderful long term project.

2.  Finish Bee Block Quilts.
Right now I have 6 sets of Bee Blocks from participating in 4 different bees.  I also have a finished top that isn't so finished.  I've got one block that turned the wrong way and needs to be corrected before it can be layered and quilted.  I intend to finish all 7 quilts by the end of the year.
Here's a little peek at my sets of bee blocks.

3.  Practice some project monogamy!  
I do believe you should go where you feel inspired to go creatively, but I've got to get a handle on things and actually FINISH more often!  I'm working on a plan for this, and I'll let you know when I have it all settled in my mind.

4.  Spend Less Money on Fabric.
Less stash enhancing and more stash using!  I want to spend less on fabric so I need to limit my temptation, so one step I've already taken is to unsubscribe from most of the online shop newsletters that flood my inbox every day.


I also have a list of things I'd like to do, not goals, but just a want to list.

Things I'd like to Do or Try in 2013:

1.   Make another Quilt with my blogging buddy Karin, from Lovin' Life at the End of the Dirt Road.
Making our Scrap Jar Quilts together was so much fun!  We knew wanted to do another quilt together even before we finished the Scrap Jars. We've actually decided on a pattern and hope to get going with this in the spring or early summer.  Both of us need to gather some fabric first. Although most of my prints will come from the stash I need to add a few more.  Gee, shopping....... best keep in mind Goal #4, huh?

2.  Make a Diamond Quilt.
Hmmm, this one might be related to the first thing on the list...... =)

3.  Make a Scrap Quilt.  
I did a huge scrap sort in December and discovered I have even MORE scraps than I thought.....  and I can hardly wait to make another scrap quilt!

4. Make a Bag or Two.  
I am terrible with this.  It is rather embarrassing. I have a stack of patterns, but I never actually make any bags!  This year I'd like to make at least 2 bags.  Here's just a few of the bag patterns in my stash.

5.  Finish some UFO's.
Now this could certainly be a full time job.  My UFO's were nearly cleared out when January of 2012 began, but I added a bunch to the pile as the year progressed.  I don't plan to make myself crazy about this, but I do need to start working through the stack, and try not to add more on it.

That's it!  My List!

Do you have a List, too?

Here's to hours of Happy Stitching as we all work through our plans for 2013!



11 comments:

Melissa said...

Spend less money on fabric is on my list, too! I've been successful so far but we're only a week into the new year. And I bought a bunch of fabric right after Christmas. haha Scraps/stash are the way to go this year :)

Sarah said...

I love the term project monogamy! It's something I'm really bad at. I usually finish aquilt top and put it aside and then start another before the first is quilted and bound, but sometimes I don't even finish the top before I cut into another :/ Help! Pretty fabric addict here!

n Carter said...

I think most quilters could agree with your goals. Good luck with them! If you want to try a bag, I would humbly suggest the Atkinson Zippy Strippy bags. I am a beginning quilter, and not much of a sewer. I tried her zip strip patterns, several of them, and they were very easy to follow and understand, and my bags came out great. I made about 7 of them, various types and sizes and gave a bunch away as gifts and kept a few for me. Very cute and fun. I also want to try my hand at making tote sized bags this year. And maybe a purse. And maybe .... You know how it is.

Donna~~ said...

Project Monogamy!?! LOL. I guess I practice project poligamy--with many many projects! Going to have to think about that! My goal is to actually finish a few things! (I hate the finishing)

Tiffany said...

Good list. Makes me want to organize/list my sewing room area and crafty life. I'm just worried I'd have too much to tackle if I sat down and catalog everything! :P

Newbie Jen said...

I hear ya on #3 & 4!!

amy and the bad cats said...

we've got a lot of common goals for the year, i see! good luck on accomplishing yours!

Julianne said...

Hi...great post! I also want to stick to the stash this year and not buy so much but there is just so much cute fabric that is so hard to resist!
Can I ask if there is a tutorial out there for the block in the upper right hand corner?

Thanks!

~Diana said...

I'm trying to screw up my courage and make a bag this year too! Good luck to both of us!

LuAnn said...

I have my whip ready and plan to spend time this next week taming some of those UFOs and stash. I think I need a big sign that says FOCUS where I can see it every day. I agree with your #4...stop buying more fabric.

Aimee said...

I am attempting to make backing for a number of quilts and get them to the long arm, as well as finish a series of UFOs. As for year long goals, I don't have any of those yet. I have my goals to get through the end of May. 1 of them is to only buy fabric for 2 new gift (well 1 gift, 1 me) quilts. I'm trying to reduce the fabric load as we prepare to move. Load because it is too small and weak to call it a stash, and yes that makes me sad somehow.