Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Bright Squares, my Daughter's Penny Patch

Last month I showed you my Cream Puffs Galore quilt that I had finished in December.  It was from a quilt along that my Daughter and I had done together. The post is HERE, if you'd like to see it.

In that post I mentioned that I'd sent my Daughter's quilt off to the long arm quilter as a surprise and then gave it to her for Christmas.  The quilt still needed binding.  My Daughter found the perfect binding in my stash, some bright pink Sketch fabric.  She cut the binding, but then she came down with the crud and was sick for several weeks, and very busy with work and family things.

Since my beautiful Daughter is a February baby, I decided it was time for another surprise.  I made the binding, attached it, and hand stitched it down.  Then I wrapped up the quilt and gave it to her again.  Yep, you should have seen her very surprised face!!  I'm so glad!

Here it is, Bright Squares, her finished quilt!

Here's a close up of the lovely leaf and flower quilting...

a peek at the background fabric and the binding...

and here is a little confused bee who thought he'd found a beautiful new flower!

Isn't it such a pretty and fun quilt?

Happy Stitching everyone!
Staci

Friday, February 20, 2015

Fabulous Friday Finish 2015: Blueberry Limeade

Wow!  It has taken me 20 days to get a photo of this finished quilt!  I was waiting for a magical alignment of the stars to allow me to have a sunny day and two people available to hold the quilt Yea, and it never happened!  You'll see I finally ended up clipping the quilt to the fence. Oh well......

Here's the quick history on this finish.  In January 2012 a quilt along using Sarah Fielke's Made in Cherry Pattern was held on the Pins and Bobbins blog.  I quickly gathered up my fun Summersault prints, chopped them to bits and began to sew them back together. 



The quilt top itself was finished pretty quickly, and was sent off to the long arm quilter.  The quilt is so very busy busy and bright asked her to just keep the quilting really simple.  I'm not certain when the quilt came home, but I know in November 2012 it was quilted and the binding was attached to it.  All it needed was hand stitching.  


The quilt was set aside while I finished up Christmas things that year.  It was shoved in a box a short time later because we moved.  And it stayed in the box.  And we moved again. And it stayed in the box.  The poor quilt was completely forgotten!  I stumbled into it again in December while trying to find the Christmas quilt and decided then and there it getting the binding hand stitched would be my January ALYOF's goal.  My goal was achieved on the very last day of the month, but it was absolutely pouring rain and I couldn't get a photo.  I put up a quickie post for accountability sake, and it's taken me this long to get a real photo.  

So, finally, here it is!  I call it Blueberry Limeade.

Pattern: Made In Cherry by Sarah Fielke
Fabric: Summersault by Erin McMorris for Free Spirit,  Lime Sketch for Robert Kaufman Fabric 
Size: 90 x 90

So glad to have it finished!

Staci

This quilt was previously discussed in posts located HERE and HERE.
It was my January ALYOF goal, and was completed on time. 

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

February Bee Blocks

It's my turn to play Queen Bee for Coast to Coast Quilters!  And let me tell you, I am so excited -- I've had my pattern and fabric picked out for months.  

Last year about this time Moda hosted the Spell It With Fabric Blog Hop.  I saved all the patterns from the hop, thinking it would be a fun quilt to make someday.  Then I saw this quilt, and knew for sure what I'd be asking the ladies to do for me!  I just love the delightful scrappiness of it. 

This quilt had to be approached a little differently than most scrappy quilts because I couldn't just arrange blocks when they arrived.  The Alphabet has a definite order and you can't really mess with it.  First I cut up all my fabric and then spent a couple hours arranging it on the design wall trying to get a pleasing arrangement of colors. I actually got a little carried away and put up too many rows!  So that last row was removed.  Since the alphabet has 26 letters and the quilt has 30 blocks there are 3 filler blocks and an ampersand. 

The lovely bee ladies agreed to make extra blocks for me, so that left me 9 blocks to make, and here they are!  The blocks are fun to make.  They only take a few minutes minutes to cut out, and take 10 to 30 minutes to put together.

 

 

 

 




I have to say the Q is kinda bugging me.  I feel like that little leg needs to extend into the center of it.  I think I'll be pulling ot the scraps and adding a little applique to this one to improve it. 














Once all the blocks come home I'll be adding sashing, so last week I cut up the strips.  My quilt is actually going to be reversible with words and numbers on the back as well as patchwork.  The squares will be part of the backing, and I hope to have it all pieced before the end of the month. 


The first two blocks made by a Bee member have already come home to me!  It's so much fun to pull those squishy envelopes out of the mail box!

Happy happy stitching!
Staci